Milton’s Comus, 1910
Milton’s Comus, 1910
J M Dent & Sons, London
Comus is a masque (a private theatrical pageant) written by John Milton and performed for John Egerton, 1st Earl of Bridgewater at Ludlow Castle to honor the Earl's new post as Lord President of Wales. The Earl's two sons & daughter performed in this masque. The plot concerns two brothers & their sister who become lost in the woods. The debauched god Comus, son & cup bearer to Dionysus, approaches the sister disguised as a villager, promising to lead her back to her brothers. Instead, he holds her captive in his palace and tries to persuade her to drink from his cup, representing earthly pleasures. She refuses; the masque is meant to be a sort of ode to virtue.
This particular edition from 1910 features biographical sketches of the family along with 8 tinted photogravures of family portraits along with 3 facsimile prints of the original text. Bound in plain grey cloth coverboards with a brown leather spine, gilded, with a red ribbon page marker. While the interior is very good, the spine is quite dry & cracked with some areas of leather loss. Nevertheless a scarce & desirable volume, offered at a low price as is.
- All sales are FINAL. I strive to provide clear photos & accurate information for every item, & to anticipate any questions you may have. It is the buyer's responsibility to examine these photos clearly & read the description in full before purchasing. If you have any other questions or require further views, you've only to ask.
- No cancellations.
- Orders ship once a week. If you need something by a certain date, please let me know before purchasing. I am almost always able to accommodate requests.
- Insurance is automatically added to every order for a very small fee, via the service Route. If you choose not to insure your order, I will not be held responsible for lost or stolen packages.
- If you are outside the US & would like to purchase something, please message me to arrange payment either through Paypal invoice or through our Etsy outpost. I am not currently taking international orders on this website due to a problem with Shopify's shipping calculator.
OTHER THINGS TO NOTE
- I do not do "holds," reserves, or payment plans. However, if you need help with financing, many safe & easy options are available to you at checkout, including Shop Pay.